Ever wondered how to get kids to clean up after themselves? Here are our top 5 tips to promoting cooperation with household tasks 🙂
1. INVITE THEM: Don’t you just HATE being told what to do? Whenever someone demands something of us, it’s only natural to resist. So next time you want your kids to help clean up INVITE them. This means you’ll have to be okay if they refuse…it’s not a demand it’s an INVITATION.
2. BABY STEPS: Young kids might understand when told to ‘Clean up your toys’ but they will cooperate better if you break the task down for them. For example
– You could suggest they ‘Go find a box/basket’
– Say, ‘If you find something that belongs to you, then put it in the box/basket’
– Suggest they take the basket to their room
– Then take one item out the box/basket at a time and find a place for it in their room
– Once the basket is empty congratulate them on a job well done!
3. LEAD BY EXAMPLE: If your kids see you grumbling about house cleaning every day, they will grow up thinking cleaning isn’t fun! So lead by example – if they see you singing along to your tunes while dusting or doing the dishes, they will soon reach out to lend a hand.
4. SET CHALLENGES, BE CONSISTENT AND APPRECIATE EFFORT: Offer you’re child a challenge when he/she seems bored with a task but be confident they can succeed with it. Don’t give up or bend the rules as you start a new regime, be consistent and make sure all of the family follow your requirements.
5. APPRECIATE EFFORT: So your kids are never going to clean as well or a thoroughly as you do but it’s important to appreciate their efforts. By doing this they’re more likely to want to do more and get better at it. Also, if you think your child could have done a better job don’t fire in and do it for them – it will demotivate and discourage them. Instead invite them to revisit the task. For example..”I notice you swept up and really appreciate it. I see there’s some more dirt on the floor, could you take care of it”
Some kids do find it hard to stick to some things so encourage their efforts and remind them practice makes perfect!
For a more thorough clean ask about our deep clean service and don’t pass the iron to your five year old! Our ironing service starts at just £7.50 for 10 items 🙂